Tax Information


Personal Tax Pros has the Largest and Fastest Tax Refunds in New York City. We also offer several different types of refund programs and Refund anticipation loans through Chase bank. We can get you cash within 5 minutes of filing your tax return.

Below is a list of the documents you will need to provide in order for us to prepare your tax returns completely.
Some items may or may not apply to everyone.

Copies of all Social Security Cards and DOB’s for individuals listed on the return
1099-Int Interest Bank Statements
1099-Div Dividend Statements
Form 1098 Mortgage Interest Statements
1099-SSA Social Security Statements
1099-B Year End Brokerage Statements / Proceeds from Sale of Stocks or Mutual Funds (if applicable, for any stock sales provide cost basis along with purchase dates)
1099-C Cancellation of Debt
W-5 Gambling Winnings
1098-E Student Loan Interest Statement
HUD-1 Closing Statements for sales or purchases of Real Estate
1099-G Unemployment Compensation Received Amounts
1099-G Prior Years State Tax Refund Amounts
1098-T Qualified Tuition Paid Statements
1099-R Retirement Plan Distribution Statements: Withdrawals, Rollovers or Loan Defaults
Form 8889 HSA Account Contribution or Distribution amounts
Form 1099-MISC Small Business / Self-Employed Individuals (Schedule C): Complete books and records
Any other tax documentation

If you are a new client please include a copy of your previous year’s tax return

Individual Tax Identification Number ( ITIN )

If someone does not have a social security number, they can recive a tax identification number from the United States Government.

(ITIN) Individual Tax Identification Number can be used for the follwing purposes:

  •  Filing United States Federal and state taxes
  •  Openinig a bank account
  •  Obtaining a credit card
  •  Obtaing a federal business identification number
  •  Obtaining a business license in New York City
  •  Receiveing a New York State Sales Tax Registration Certificate
  •  An employer might put a ITIN number on a W-2 form

 What you need to obtain a Individual Tax Identification Number ( ITIN )

  •  A passport or other government issued identification number that is not expired
  •  You must file a federal Tax return reporting your income


  •  you must be claimed as a dependent on a someone elses federal tax return


  •  be an international student that requires such a number

 Will using an ITIN give me in problems with immigration (CIS)?

Citizenship and Immigration Service (CIS), formerly known as the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS), cannot generally request the names of taxpayers using an ITIN. The IRS will not report you to law enforcement or CIS if you apply for or use an ITIN. The IRS will not report you to law enforcement or CIS if you use an ITIN that does not match the SSN on your W-2 form(s) attached to your tax return.

ITIN numbers are for tax filing purposes. A valid individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) is required to claim a personal exemption for spouses and/or dependent children. Dependents who are not eligible for a Social Security number may apply for an ITIN number if they are eligible to be claimed on their spouse’s income tax return.

It takes approximately 6 weeks to obtain an ITIN Individual Tax Identification Number.

Contact Advantage Tax Service at 718 558-5532 to obtain your tax identification number

 What is an ITIN?

An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) is a tax processing number issued by the Internal Revenue Service. It is a nine-digit number that always begins with the number 9 and has a 7 or 8 in the fourth digit, example 9XX-7X-XXXX.

IRS issues ITINs to individuals who are required to have a U.S. taxpayer identification number but who do not have, and are not eligible to obtain a Social Security Number (SSN) from the Social Security Administration (SSA).

ITINs are issued regardless of immigration status because both resident and nonresident aliens may have U.S. tax return and payment responsibilities under the Internal Revenue Code.

Individuals must have a filing requirement and file a valid federal income tax return to receive an ITIN, unless they meet an exception.


What is an ITIN used for?

ITINs are for federal tax reporting only, and are not intended to serve any other purpose. An ITIN does not authorize work in the U.S. or provide eligibility for Social Security benefits or the Earned Income Tax Credit. ITINs are not valid identification outside the tax system.

IRS issues ITINs to help individuals comply with the U.S. tax laws, and to provide a means to efficiently process and account for tax returns and payments for those not eligible for Social Security Numbers.

 Who needs an ITIN?

IRS issues ITINs to foreign nationals and others who have federal tax reporting or filing requirements and do not qualify for SSNs. A non-resident alien individual not eligible for an SSN, who is required to file a U.S. tax return only to claim a refund of tax under the provisions of a U.S. tax treaty, needs an ITIN.

Examples of individuals who need ITINs include:

  •  Non-resident alien filing a U.S. tax return and not eligible for an SSN
  • U.S. resident alien (based on days present in the United States) filing a U.S. tax return and not eligible for an SSN
  • Dependent or spouse of a U.S. citizen/resident alien
  • Dependent or spouse of a non-resident alien visa holder

How do I know if I need an ITIN?

If you do not have an SSN and are not eligible to obtain an SSN, but you have a requirement to furnish a federal tax identification number or file a federal income tax return, you must apply for an ITIN.

If you have an application for an SSN pending, do not file Form W-7. Complete Form W-7 only if the Social Security Administration (SSA) notifies you that an SSN cannot be issued.

To obtain an SSN, see Form SS-5, Application for a Social Security Number Card. To get Form SS-5 or to find out if you are eligible to obtain an SSN, go to or contact an SSA office. By law, an alien individual cannot have both an ITIN and an SSN.

IRS processes returns showing SSNs or ITINs in the blanks where tax forms request SSNs. IRS no longer accepts, and will not process, forms showing “SSA205c,” “applied for,” “NRA,” blanks, etc.

 Are ITINs valid for identification?

No. ITINs are not valid identification outside the tax system. Since ITINs are strictly for tax processing, IRS does not apply the same standards as agencies that provide genuine identity certification.

ITIN applicants are not required to apply in person, and IRS does not further validate the authenticity of identity documents. ITINs do not prove identity outside the Federal tax system, and should not be offered or accepted as identification for non-tax purposes.

 Are ITINs valid for work purposes?

No. ITINs are for federal income tax purposes only. Getting an ITIN does not change your immigration status or your rightto work in the United States.


What are the revised application standards for ITINs?

Effective immediately, each ITIN applicant must now:

Apply using the revised Form W-7, Attach a federal income tax return to the Form W-7.

Applicants who meet an exception to the requirement to file a tax return (see the instructions for Form W-7) must provide documentation to support the exception.

Why is IRS revising the ITIN application process?

The revisions to the ITIN application process will help ensure ITINs are used for their intended tax administration purposes.

What documents are acceptable as proof of identity and foreign status?

IRS has streamlined the number of documents the agency will accept as proof of identity to obtain an ITIN. There are now 13 acceptable documents.

An original, or a certified or notarized copy, of an UNEXPIRED passport is the only document that is accepted for both identity and foreign status. If you do not have a passport, you must provide a combination of current documents that contain expiration dates – we accept docs issued within 12 months of the application if no expiration date is normally available. The documents must also show your name and photograph, and support your claim of foreign status.

IRS will accept certified or notarized copies of a combination (two or more) of the following documents, in lieu of a passport:

  •  National identification card (must show photo, name, current address, date of birth, and expiration date)
  • U.S. driver’s license
  • Civil birth certificate
  • Foreign driver’s license
  • U.S. state identification card
  • Foreign voter’s registration card
  • U.S. military identification card
  • Foreign military identification card
  • Visa
  • U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) photo identification
  • Medical records (dependents – under 14 years old – only)
  • School records (dependents and/or students – under 18 years old – only)


 How do I apply for an ITIN?

Use the Febuary 2008 revision of Form W-7, Individual Tax Identification number to apply. Attach a valid federal income tax return unless you qualify for an exception, and include your original or certified proof of identity documents.

Because you are filing your tax return as an attachment to your ITIN application, you should not mail your return to the address listed in the Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ instructions. Instead, send your return, Form W-7 and proof of identity documents to:


Internal Revenue Service

Austin Service Center

ITIN Operation

P.O. Box 149342

Austin, TX 78714-9342


The IRS’s ITIN Unit in Austin issues all numbers by mail.


When should I apply for an ITIN?

You should complete Form W-7 as soon as you are ready to file your federal income tax return, since you need to attach the return to your application.

If you meet one of the exceptions and do not need to file a return, submit Form W-7, along with the documents required to meet your purpose for needing an ITIN, as soon as possible after you determine that you are covered by that exception.

You can apply for an ITIN any time during the year; however, if the tax return you attach to Form W-7 is filed after the return’s due date, you may owe interest and/or penalties. You should file your current year return by the April 15 deadline to avoid this.


How and when can I expect to receive my ITIN?

If you qualify for an ITIN and your application is complete, you will receive a letter from the IRS assigning your tax identification number, usually within four to six weeks. The IRS has changed from an ITIN card to an authorization letter to avoid any possible similarities with a Social Security Number card. Current ITIN holders’ cards will not be replaced; they should continue to use the numbers previously issued when they need to supply identifying numbers for tax purposes.

If you have not received your ITIN or other correspondence six weeks after applying, you may call the IRS to find out the status of your application.


Where can I get help with my ITIN application?


Advantage Tax Service

8845 164th St

Jamaica, NY 11432

Queens County, (NYC) New York City

718 558-5532

 What is an Acceptance Agent?

An Acceptance Agent is an individual, business or organization (college, financial institution, accounting firm, etc.) authorized by IRS to assist individuals in obtaining ITINs. Certifying Acceptance Agents review applicants’ documentation, complete a certificate of accuracy, and forward the certificate and application to the IRS for processing. Acceptance Agents charge a fee.